Monday, March 7, 2011

THE A-TEAM: Amazing Women Professionals & Friends

We all know people who always seem to be able to take trash and turn it into treasure. The ability to find uses and opportunities in items others typically dismiss is a rare quality to find. In fact, television networks like HGTV and the History Channel create entire shows around trash-to-treasure talent.

I’ve had the pleasure of knowing one of Las Vegas’ foremost trash-to-treasure crafters, Island Girlz Jewelry founder Marlene Reid, for more than six years now. Besides giving me the gift of a fantastic husband (Marlene is also my mother-in-law), she’s been an inspiration to me as well. She’s a one-woman, “green” craft making machine and has created quite a name for herself in Southern Nevada by creating one-of-a-kind, recycled jewelry … for fun. And, as you know, if you can combine fun, creativity and financial success together in your day-to-day business endeavours, well, you’re a lucky gal. Together these efforts are not easy to accomplish, but Marlene’s ability to overcome these challenges is precisely why she’s on my A-team.

Recently Marlene was recognized by Desert Companion Magazine as one of Las Vegas’ “Best of the City: People.” In the article, Marlene calls her work “fashion with a conscience.” I love that.

MARLENE REID
Founder/Crafter
Island Girlz Jewelry

Q: How did you “arrive” where you are in life today?
A:
So many things along the winding road of life have brought me to this point but two stand out in my mind. First, I have wonderfully supportive people in my life. It’s their voices of love and encouragement that have gotten me to where I am today. Secondly, hard work - plain and simple. Get it done!

Q: Tell me about your business. Where do you derive your passion for recycled crafts and jewelry?
A:
There are a number of things that fuel my passion and inspire my handmade jewelry and accessories. First and foremost, I am a child of the ‘70s and still have that mentality that everyone should take the opportunity to make a difference in the world. Upcycling “trash” is my way of trying to reduce our carbon footprint on the planet. I want my grandson, Brayden to be able to enjoy all the natural wonders the world has to offer. Secondly, I am my father’s daughter. He was the ultimate recycler, even before recycling became politically correct. When I was a child, I can remember cringing when he’d say, “Let’s go for a walk,” which really translated into, “We’re going to pick up aluminium cans.” Now I smile whenever I think of how proud he’d be to see what I’ve created out of “trash”. It’s these things that give me my creative vision and challenge me when designing new pieces.

Q: As a business person, what are you most challenged with day-to-day?
A:
There just doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that I want to do. I am constantly challenged in trying to strike a balance between family, work, creative time, business details and time to play with my dog, Puzzle.

Q: What is more important, talent or drive?
A:
If I’ve learned one thing in all my years as a creative person, it’s that you must have the drive to take your passion to the next level. I’ll be the first to admit that for years I only half-heartedly attempted to make the jump from hobbyist to business person. Then several years ago an acquaintance took one of my creative ideas and turned it into a semi-successful business. That was the wake-up call I needed. To make a long story short: talent is wasted without drive.

Q: What one trait has helped you most in business?
A:
The ability to keep things organized has been the key trait for me. I juggle so many things that without that single skill, I’d be sinking in quicksand.

Q: What is the hardest lesson you've learned and how did you learn it?
A:
The toughest lesson I’ve learned is to have faith in myself. Fortunately, I’ve been blessed with two wonderful sons who have always believed that I am someone with special gifts. Their support and the support of a very special group of girlfriends helped me find the strength to believe in “me”.

Q: What is the one piece of advice you would offer other women in business?
A:
Believe in yourself and follow your dreams for life is too short for regrets. You know that saying: you can make it happen if only you believe. It really is true.

More as to why Marlene is on my A-team:

Best of the City: Shops + Services, People + Places + Community

Handmade In Vegas promoting Henderson'sThird Thursday Artwalk
Local 200-person artist and craft group working to raise $10,000 to support Gulf oil spill wildlife rescue efforts
Island Girlz Jewelry Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment