Friday, February 12, 2010

If it’s “amazing,” prove it.

My son loves the park. (What kid doesn’t?) Lately, however, he really enjoys climbing a 3-story tower that overlooks a portion of the park.

This past weekend as we made our way to the top step of the tower my two-year-old told me how “amazing” the view was. In fact, he said it multiple times. So many times, I couldn’t help but question if the view really was amazing, or that he just learned the nifty saying earlier that day in school? (I decided on the later. If you're a parent to a two-year-old, you understand why.)

Fast forward two days and I’m on the phone with a local advertising representative who claims their product is “amazing.” So much so, she said it nearly 30 times during our five minute conversation. It was a bit overkill for me, but the thought of my son at the park jumped to my mind again and I thought to myself that simply saying how “amazing” something is, over and over, is not a solid sales strategy. Actually, it can carry long term negative repercussions as a result of it. (Trick me, and I’ll never come back as a customer again.)

Enthusiasm cannot completely replace the lack of a great product or service to back you up. Granted successful sales integrate the one-two punch, enthusiasm coupled with a great product or service. However, simply saying how “amazing” a service is, won’t gain you loyal customers for the long haul.

Proof is in the pudding. How you deliver, or "sell," is critical to closing a new customer, but equally as important is the delivery of products and services.

No comments:

Post a Comment