Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let the experts be the experts.

Last night on the drive home I did something I've never done before... I recorded myself singing in the car. Before pulling into the driveway, I replayed the recording. I thought to myself that surely I would sound as great as I've always thought I have, right? Nothing could be further from the truth. Suddenly I felt sorry for my husband, who has listened to me belt-out my favorite tunes over the years. I also realized that the portable karaoke gift I received six years ago by a colleague was likely a gag, rather than an actual gift. (I still love it nonetheless.)

I knew for certain right then and there, in a fraction of just a moment, that no matter how hard I try I do not possess natural talent for singing. (American Idol will have to wait - forever.)

It reminded me of a common challenge I see day-to-day in business: many of us push to be the expert in all things. In fact, many of us try so hard to be the expert, we push the people who have natural talent away, in turn, pushing away collaborative opportunities that can help you down the line.

We must let the experts be the experts. (I'll never be a Carrie Underwood.)

Of course, I don't recommend approaching others with a heightened level of naivety. That's just being an irresponsible consumer. Instead, we need to pull people, who have natural talent in areas we lack, into our inner circle. Once in the circle, there must be mutual respect, opportunities to challenge each other’s thinking as well as to support each other in our efforts. (A special "shout out" to my main man Brian for the inner circle concept.)

In a profession where there's no barrier to entry, I encounter this challenge daily. Everyone's a marketing pro and sales whiz - or so they think. And since I work with a number of organizations over the course of each day, I can tell you there is a clear distinction between the level of success or failure that can happen purely as a result of the relationship a client chooses to have with me, or any of their professionally outsourced partners for that matter.

For example, if a person seeks my advice, I invite them to question it, even challenge it. (Again, responsible consumerism.) However, if they seek my advice, but insist on always challenging the system to a point that they refuse to move ahead on my professional recommendations and therefore fail in their efforts, there's no other choice than to reevaluate the working relationship - from both ends. The result: time is wasted and results are not achieved.

I know where my natural talent lies as well as the people closest to me at the workplace and I collaborate with them accordingly. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment